Friday, August 21, 2015

♥ How to Make Jam ♥

 photo jam9.jpg
Hello everyone! I went blackberrying the other day & made jam, so I thought I'd show you all how to make your own. You can use any type of fruit for this, I just used blackberries because they were free, but in the past I've used apples, strawberries, raspberries, peaches etc.
 photo jam1.jpg
You will need:
1kg of fresh/frozen fruit.
1kg of granulated/jam sugar
Lemon juice
3-4 jam jars
Large cooking pot
Wooden spoon
Jam funnel
Ladle
 photo jam2.jpg
1. Firstly, wash up all your jam jars & lids in hot soapy water. Then rinse them, making sure all the soap is washed off.
 photo jam3.jpg
2. Then put your jars & lids in the oven at 100 degrees Celsius. This will sterilise your jars and stop the jam from going mouldy.
 photo jam4.jpg
3. Put your fruit & lemon juice in your cooking pot & heat at a low temperature until all the fruit is mushy and liquidy like shown. Add your sugar, and make sure it is all dissolved before moving on to the next step.
 photo jam5.jpg
4. Bring your pan of fruit up to a rolling boil, & simmer for 10 minutes. This is why you need a LARGE pot, because your mixture will double in size.
 photo jam6.jpg
5. After the 10 minutes is up, remove your jam from the heat and drop a little of it on a cold spoon. If it "gells", and becomes firm, your jam is ready to be jarred. If not, return to the heat until your jam does gell, you might need to add more lemon juice if it won't set.
 photo jam7.jpg
6. Remove your jam from the heat and your jam jars from the oven. Carefully pour your jam using the funnel into the hot jars with your ladle. You might want to wear rubber gloves at this stage to protect your hands a bit from the heat. Put the lids on as you work, making sure they are on firmly, but not too tight.
 photo jam8.jpg
7. Leave to cool. You should hear the jars "popping" as the seal is formed. Once cool, decorate with labels & toppers if you would like. Homemade jam makes an excellent gift, I always make a batch for my family every Christmas.

That's it! Hope you found this tutorial useful, & do let me know if you try it out, I'd love to see your results!
 
♥  Georgina

10 comments:

  1. Great! Thanks for sharing this. I read over the article and I really love all the things. By the way, could we get a chance to cooperate on SNS/Blog? We’ll pay $. tonylau86china@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so easy! I'm looking to make jam for the first time and was wondering why you didn't you any pectin? Other recipes call for it, but if I can go without it I most definitely will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the lemon juice in place of store bought pectin, but if you use jam sugar instead of granulated, this has added pectin and you can forgo the lemon juice. X

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I'll be following your recipe then :)

      Delete
  3. I really want to make tasty jam now! Thank you for this excellent post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! Great post!
    xx
    Mademoiselle Coconath
    http://mllecoconath.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only made freezer jam before, it's so simple and tastes so fresh, but I've always wanted to try making it the more traditional "canned" kind. Your recipe sounds and looks easier than some of the others I've seen, so I'm going to give it a try when I get an opportunity. Yours looks lovely, and blackberry is one of my favorites. I just love the deep color and all the seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious!! I will attempt my first time at jam! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for commenting! I read every comment I recieve & if you have a question I do my best to reply. However you might find it quicker to reach me by my Twitter @cupcakesloveme. Have a nice day! :D xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© 2010-2012 Georgina Doull