Wednesday, April 16, 2014

♥ Sewing More Dresses ♥

 photo gsge.jpg
I bought some more fabric recently (I bought this and this), with plans to make more pretty summer dresses. One of my favourite dresses is this one I made in 2011 (woah - old photo alert!), so I picked out similar striped fabrics, but hopefully not too similar! Plus, the fabric was fairly cheap, at £5.50 a metre. (I bought 3 of each, but only used about 1.5 for this dress - oops!). I made this in a few hours the other day, again from scratch.
 
I always get asked what patterns I've used, but I never use a pattern to sew. The closest I come to using a pattern is grabbing an already existing garment from my wardrobe and seeing how it was made, and copying that. I did draft my own bodice pattern using that method, and made a fabric pattern that I sometimes use. For this one though, I made another pattern myself by making a muslin out of scrap fabric before cutting the proper fabric.
 photo dhry.jpg  photo fhdhd-1.jpg
This dress doesn't really have a fitted bust, it's more of blousy effect, with elasticated waist. I have a picture of me wearing it on instagram (cupcakesloveme). I have recently discovered that regular old zig zag stitch is better than the overlock stitch on my machine which I had been using to finish my seams for years. I feel a bit derpy about that, since zigzag is much faster too, as well as neater & using less thread. I do still dream about getting an actual overlocker someday, but zig zag does nicely for now.
 photo dfsgsg.jpg
I finished the hem with pink satin ribbon, and I also for the first time ever made bias binding, which I used to finish the armpits. I have used bias binding before, to finish the edges of a quilt, but I'd not made it though. I really need to buy one of those little things that help you fold it exactly though, would be even easier then. The straps are just frilly broderie anglaise ribbon, which I bought as is, rather than assembling that myself. Finished with a pink satin rose & I have a dress perfect for summer! I don't know why I don't do more sewing, it's very satisfying creating things, as opposed to buying them.
 photo gdgrsh.jpg

27 comments:

  1. You are so talented! :) xx

    http://theitalianbunnyreport.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will we see an outfit post soon? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweety Color!
    I like this skirt :)

    http://anyakoks.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute! :33 My grandma made me a dress that reminds me of this one..But she made it too big,so now my sister has to do something with her to make it smaller T_T It's great that you can find such cute fabric there ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, the dress looks lovely :) Can't wait to see you in it!

    http://diariesgirlnextdoor.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh this is adorable ! I wish I knew how to sew, that way I dont have to buy expensive dresses from malls :0

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing. You have such talent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is such a beautiful material.
    you inspire me a lot.
    I would like to sew clothes.
    I hope that's not so hard to sew.

    Lg Kuri

    http://qucalca.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job dear! The dress looks amazing ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice pics <3
    www.blog017.blogspot.com ☻

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to see you wear it <3
    fan here :))

    love lots,
    Tin

    mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would you ever consider making a dress in another size and selling it ^-^ BY THE WAY your candy fawn and castle ribbon dress are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so pretty, I love the detail you've put into it! I agree with you about it being so satisfying making your own clothes, I wish I did more of my own but it can be hard to bother sometimes when you have so many other things going on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore your talent. You sew such cute dresses ;A; I can't even sew a simple skirt, that's why I envy people with such a talent & you are just brilliant !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a cute dress! I love the detail on the hem with the satin ribbon. I also love to sew and graduated with a degree in fashion design, you did amazing on this dress! Your fabric selection was fabulous as well. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice dress, I hope we will see you soon posing in them. I love sewing, I cannot wait till I have more time on my hands to sew again something nice for me. I am buying quite a lot of fabrics, but don´t manage to sew all the projects I want to do.

    www.quaintrelle-georgiana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's super pretty! I'm a frustrated dress maker haha and I envy you for your talent.. I wish I could make a dress for myself too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute. Love the fabric. I've been promising myself to make more of my own clothes this year, but time does not seem to be on my side :o(
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. ahhhh that's such pretty fabric. I'd love to be able to sew :')
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yep... forever jealous of people that can sew :C this dress looks absolutely lovely!

    ♥ Little Owl Diary

    ReplyDelete
  21. So pretty! Your sewing skills are always so impressive! And the fabric is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. nice outfit... you're quite talented, do you have some online video tutorials on how you make your cute dresses? thanks - Annika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Georgina, my name is Beth from Monaco and I'm a new reader to your blog. I can say that you're an expert in making such dresses - I've become an instant fan! And I'd agree with Annika, can you make some Youtube video tutorials on creating such beautiful clothes? Please, please, please...:) Surely it would be a delight to all your blog fans/followers.

      Delete
  23. Do you have an etsy account? I would absolutely love to buy a dress like this from you!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for commenting! I read every comment I recieve & if you have a question I do my best to reply. However you might find it quicker to reach me by my Twitter @cupcakesloveme. Have a nice day! :D xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© 2010-2012 Georgina Doull