Friday, August 16, 2013

♥ Adventures in Needle Felting ♥

 photo ertret.jpg
So, I mentioned in my last post that I was going to try needle felting for the first time. I thought I'd report back with a little post on it (I did mean to do this post earlier in the week, but my boyfriend has recently got me into Minecraft & I may be slightly addicted to it now!). 
♥ ♥ ♥
I actually decided to needle felt flowers onto a cardigan that I've had plans to embellish for ages now, which is an angora blend one. I'm not sure how well needle felting goes on materials that aren't actual wool, but plan to try out different materials in the future.
 photo rgtstsw.jpg
I suck at getting a good picture, but plan to include it in an outfit post in the very near future, so you can see it better. I am really pleased with the results, I don't think it's too bad for my first try. It was very easy though, you basically just stab bits of wool roving with a special needle & it felts them onto the fabric, pushing the wool through the fabric to attach it. You can sort of see in the pic above, the back of some of the flowers - they just look like fluffy bits of coloured wool on the reverse of the cardigan.
♥ ♥ ♥
There are lots of tutorials online, I plan to try 3d felting next, which seems more complicated, but hopefully won't be too bad! Not a bad way to jazz up old clothes though - easy & quite relaxing. Just be careful not to stab yourself with the needles (like I did...several times! Eeek!).
 photo fytfuf.jpg

32 comments:

  1. did you buy a kit to do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't buy a kit, just individual stuff from Hobbycraft. All you need is the needle & the wool roving, you could use a a foam pad or something instead of the special brush thingy I bought.

      Delete
  2. So beautiful!! Well done!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it! I'm getting a bit obsessed about needle felting lately and I'd like to try it, where did you buy the materials?

    http://myvirtuoushands.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really lovely, super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! You've got a boyfriend! FINALLY! Is he real or just imaginary one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm a fan of Fight Club, The Matrix and The Truman Show, so I can't say I have much idea what even constitutes "real" any more, however first impressions suggest that I am somewhat corporeal.

      Which is not to suggest that I believe imaginary partners are anything to be ashamed of, as I suspect you may be implying. I have had several of those and they are capable of many things that people constrained by the natural rules of our physical universe (such as physics, biology and psychology) are simply not.

      Delete
  6. This is so lovely. I'm super fond of how every flower is it's own unique thing. Looking forward to seeing the sweater worn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did such a good job!!! I think this looks so sweet and pretty! Bravo :)

    Mabel
    Life of Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's a first attempt?! It's stunning! Looking at the photos before I'd read through, I though it was going to be a professional piece with a "this is what I'd like to make..." commentary.

    3D needle felting blows my mind. There's someone on Etsy who does custom 3D portraits of peoples' pets, and it's just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, 3d work seems way harder then 2d, I'll probably fail horribly when I do eventually try it, haha!

      Thanks x

      Delete
  9. Wow! That looks so amazing. I wish I could do this. You are so talented.
    Kerri at HollyMuffin

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks AMAZING! I might have to try it... :3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love needle felting! I tried it on wool sweater, polyester cardigan and a basic cotton shirt and it worked well, but you have to be very carefull when washing it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You never fail to impress! Lovely ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're so clever! This looks amazing! xxx

    http://hipslikecinders.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love love love this!!! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the first time we've heard about you having a boyfriend! :D Will you be doing posts together in the future? I'm sure we'd all love to see him!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You say that now, but I, like most people, actually look very out of place next to Georgina. :P

      Delete
    2. Maybe...:P I don't think he is so keen, but he has offered to take outfit pictures for me<3

      Delete
  16. Gorgeous as always!! I looovvve those shoes!! How do you find the ASOS fit? I am so worried to buy them because they all look so thin fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great work with the sweater. :-) You have a good eye for placement and color. This is the first time I've heard of needle felting. Am curious to give it a try sometime seeing how nicely it turned out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your sweater turned out great!
    I've tried the needle felting of a small stand alone sheep, and while it does indeed stand on its own...
    I'm so pumped to try this method out too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am new to your blog, but wanted to say that it is beautiful. I also really like this sweater that you made!
    Elizabeth
    www.craftemagee.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Felt is fantastic and you've done such a gorgeous job on your cardigan. It's looks beautiful and reminds me to get crafty again.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for commenting! I read every comment I recieve & if you have a question I do my best to reply. However you might find it quicker to reach me by my Twitter @cupcakesloveme. Have a nice day! :D xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© 2010-2012 Georgina Doull